Generally speaking, Botswana is probably one of the safest countries, if not the safest country in Africa to visit. It is politically stable and has a small population, most of whom live in the south and in urban areas.
However, no true wilderness and wildlife experience is possible without some exposure to danger. The adventure may not be suitable for the faint-hearted and a rush of adrenalin through wildlife encounters is possible.
However, to mitigate the exposure to danger, Walking & Cultural Safaris provides the following:
- The presence of a properly trained and qualified guide who will be armed when necessary
- Bushmen, who together with the guide, are experienced in avoiding danger
- Communication technologies for emergencies
- Access to helicopters from the Okavango Air Rescue service (OAR)
- Walking is restricted to small manageable groups to best manage the security measures applied.